Friday, May 23, 2014

Oliver's Birth Story Part 2

Once Andrew made his way from the parking lot we went into the Pregnancy Welcome Center.
They checked us in, put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me up to a L&D room.
I changed into one of those attractive hospital gowns and we proceeded to wait.


We waited to call our families until around 7am, there was no sense in waking them up at 5am just to wait.
I announced it to the rest of our families and friends on Facebook and Instagram...


Needless to say they were all shocked that I was going into labor 5 weeks early.

The morning went on, I got my epidural {I am not nearly strong enough to have a baby without pain medication}, our immediate families showed up and we waited.
It was about lunch time and the nurse said I was ready to push.
At this point things seemed to be going along at a semi-rapid pace and I was happy with it.
I pushed for two hours, no real progress.
Side note... I had brought a season of Friends with me to watch in the delivery room, definitely watched the entire season!
So the doctor then said I needed to take a break from pushing, and we took a break for about an hour.
Then I pushed for another hour, and again no real progress.
Then it came time to make the decision to go with a C-Section.
Once the decision was made things happened really fast.
They pumped me full of whatever medication they use to make your entire body from about the chest down, numb... Weirdest feeling ever.
The medication made me shake, I wasn't cold but I couldn't stop shaking.
We got the the OR and within five minutes our little boy made his way into the world with help from the doctors and nurses.


Throughout the entire process the NICU nurses were there just in case, he was 5 weeks early and they were concerned about his lung development.
Let me tell ya, he screamed his little lungs out and there was no question whether or not they were performing accurately!


Once I was all stitched up they moved me to Recovery where I got to hold my baby boy for the first time!
Then we brought in my mom and Andrew's mom to meet Oliver before we were moved to our regular room.



No comments:

Post a Comment