Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Happy Birthday Charles Lee!

Our second baby boy turns one month old tomorrow.
In honor of him being a whole month old I want to share his birth story with you all today.
{It's been a while since I have posted, getting used to a house with two little ones is quite an adjustment... more on that in another post}

The Thursday before baby number two was born I had my regular weekly check.
They did an ultrasound to check the baby as far as weight and fluids just to make sure he was doing alright.
{Oliver was born five weeks early and was a large baby which makes me think my doctor was just being safe}
Well, he was measuring small, not too small but small enough that they wanted to send me over to a specialist to get a more accurate weight check.

Andrew's off work on Mondays, so I had scheduled the weight ultrasound check for Monday July 27th so that he could be there. Due to his work and the office hours for our doctor he hadn't been able to make any other visits this time around and I wanted him there in case they told me something was wrong.

We spent our entire morning at the doctors, having ultrasound after ultrasound and each time I thought I was done, got all dressed, the nurse kept coming back, "Oh just one more thing, the doctor wants another reading."
Not to mention, I was STARVING at this point.
We had woken up early, got ready and dropped Oliver off with my Mom.
Our plan was, go to the doctor, get the all clear and go to lunch.
So I didn't eat a large breakfast, in fact I just had a Breakfast Essentials shake to tide me over.

Big mistake.

After an hour of ultrasounds the doctor finally came in.
She decided she wanted to take a look herself.
Once she was done she told us that the blood flowing through the umbilical cord was a little more stressed than she would have liked it to be.
She recommended that we had the baby that day.
Okay, so I wasn't all that surprised... We were already over 37 weeks and having only made it to 35 with Oliver, I was thrilled to give this baby a couple more weeks to grow.

At the hospital before anyone showed up, it was just the two of us :)

The office we were at for the ultrasound is connected to a hospital, not the hospital that we wanted to deliver at, however instead of sending us out to where I wanted to be, they had me take a non stress test to make sure the baby was okay enough to travel.
Had I not passed they were going to make us go straight to the ER at their hospital.
Thankfully we passed with flying colors, got in contact with my doctor who told us to go straight to the hospital of my choice.

I was so excited... Hungry as all get out but excited!
{Just ask Andrew, all day that was all I kept saying to him, I know he got super annoyed, but whatever, I was 37 weeks pregnant and wanted food}
Due to having a repeat C-Section I was not allowed to eat or drink anything.
It's funny, how you can go hours without eating or drinking anything on any normal day, but the second you are TOLD you can't, that's when it becomes unbearable.

Anyway, we called our parents and siblings to fill them in on what was going on.
It did work out that Oliver was already with my Mom.
To be honest I was afraid of going into labor, having to bring Oliver with us to the hospital and having baby number two before anyone could get up to the hospital to watch Oliver, and I would have to go into surgery alone.

We took our time getting to the hospital, as I wasn't actually in labor, there wasn't a huge rush.
This entire experience was totally different than Oliver's delivery.
I was relaxed and confident about what was going to happen.
I was nervous but excited and I was so ready to meet our new baby boy.

We got to the hospital, checked in and they took me to an operating room prep/recovery area.
Our families all showed up, even Andrew's brother came up and it was HIS birthday as well.
We got there a little after noon and the surgery was originally scheduled for 3pm but ended up getting pushed back to 5pm.
Since I wasn't in labor the wait wasn't physically painful at all... Getting the IV was the worst part.

For the next few hours we just hung out, Oliver was up there so I got to see him before going into surgery which was exactly what I needed and wanted.
He was super unsure as to what was going on and I think the room scared him.
At least his entire family, people he recognized were up there with him the whole time.

Around 4:15 they gave me all the medicines that I needed and that was when I lost it.
It was the weirdest feeling ever, that moment between feeling everything and feeling nothing.
They wanted me to turn over on my side and my muscles started to pull, I was in pain and I just started to cry.
I was so terrified the medicine wasn't going to work and I was going to end up feeling everything.

It's so hard not to compare both birth experiences.
With Oliver, I had labored from about 4am until 5pm before they decided to go ahead and do a CSection.
I had been pumped with medicine all day, pushed for multiple hours and was exhausted.
By the time I went in for surgery with Oliver, I was pretty much out of it.
I barely remember anything and unfortunately I don't even remember holding Oliver for the first time.

This time around, I was given different medicine due to the fact that I wasn't going to be laboring, just straight into surgery for the CSection.
I was totally with it.
I actually felt the "tugging" and "pulling" they said I would feel.
{Again, another thing I didn't feel with Oliver}
I remember everything about it, the doctor and nurses were all in a much more spirited and happy mood this time around as well.
No pressure, it was so much more relaxed.

The CSection was scheduled for 5pm and at 5:05pm I heard the most beautiful noise I could ever imagine.
Charles Lee LaRose cried.
He was here and he was healthy and perfect.

I actually remembering holding him.
I remember everything.
They even let me hold him from surgery into recovery and from recovery to a regular room.

In recovery

I didn't get to hold Oliver until I had been in recovery for a while.

I felt amazing.
It was such an amazing feeling.
I am sad I didn't get to feel that way with Oliver.
However, our story is special as is mine with Charlie.
They are different but both so perfect.

One day old

He was born on July 27th 2015 at 5:05pm.
He weight 6lbs 9oz. and was 19 1/4 inches long.

He was and still is absolutely perfect.

Spending some time with big brother and daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment